The Elsmere Public Works Department is comprised of 5 employees, and is responsible for:
- Maintenance of city roads
- Maintenance of seven city owned buildings
- Maintenance of four city parks
- Maintaining Street and traffic signs
- Maintaining city right of way
- Fleet Maintenance
- Street Sweeping
- Mowing and trimming of the city’s parks and properties
- Coordination of outside agencies and contractors
- Unforeseen issues that arise within Elsmere
The Elsmere Public Works Department works closely with organizations like the Northern Kentucky Water District and SD1, as well as Elsmere citizens to continuously improve the infrastructure of the community.
The City of Elsmere Public Works Department does not maintain sewer or water mains in the City. If you have a problem or an emergency with these services, you need to call the Sanitation District at 859.578.7450 or the Northern Kentucky Water District at 859.578.9898.
Public Works can be contacted at 859.342.7911 ext. 6 or service requests can be submitted through Elsmere’s Citizen Concern Portal.
Roadway maintenance is a high priority for the Elsmere Public Works. Elsmere Public Works is responsible for maintaining approximately 27 miles of roadway. Elsmere Public Works completes several concrete and blacktop projects in house each year with city staff, coordinates an annual bid for crack sealing, and works closely with City Engineer on street reconstruction projects.
Snow and Ice Removal
The Elsmere Public Works is responsible for snow and ice removal on city streets. The Elsmere Public Works has six snow plow trucks and our salt storage can hold 500 tons of salt. The Elsmere streets are broke down into 5 different routes and within those routes priority is given to main roads, snow emergency routes, and streets with hills. We do our best to cover the entire city in a timely and safe manner. Snow emergencies are often issued if there is a snow fall predicted of 2 inches or more. When snow or ice is predicted please tune into your local TV stations and look at the City of Elsmere’s Facebook page to see if a snow emergency has been declared. The following streets are snow emergency routes in Elsmere:
- Autumn Road (From Turkeyfoot Road to Garvey Avenue)
- Buckner Street (From Garvey Avenue to Main Street)
- Central Row (From Buckner Street to Ripple Creek Drive)
- Feather Lane
- Goodridge Drive (From City limit to East Covered Bridge Drive)
- Lytle Avenue (From Spring Street to Bluegrass Avenue)
- Main Street (From Dixie Highway to Floral Street)
- Ripple Creek Drive
- East Covered Bridge Drive (From Goodridge Drive to Manderlay Drive)
- Eastern Avenue
- Pebble Creek Drive (From Garvey Avenue to Clovernook)
- Mitten Drive (From 3606 Mitten Drive to 3646 Mitten Drive)
It is encouraged and will greatly speed up snow plowing efforts if all vehicles are removed from City streets during snow and ice events.
We offer the following suggestions during snow and ice events:
- Find off street parking; snow plows leave pushed snow around your car
- Shoveling snow from your driveway into the street will most likely result in snow being plowed back into your driveway and can be a hazard to other motorist.
- Leave room for snow plows and do not follow closely; often times we are throwing salt from the rear of the truck.
- Cul de sacs are extremely tough to plow due to the majority of the curb line being lined with driveways and often times this leaves us limited options on where to put the snow.
The Elsmere Public Works performs street sweeping at minimum on a quarterly basis and during the fall we usually cover the entire city multiple times. Elsmere does not offer leaf pickup service so please do not pile leaves in the gutter line of the street. The Elsmere Public Works will begin hanging no parking signs for street sweeping on a quarterly basis. The signs will be posted on existing sign post the day before street sweeping will take place. We will also post a list of streets to be swept on the City of Elsmere website and Facebook Page. As always staffing, weather, and unforeseen break downs of the street sweeper may sometimes hamper our street sweeping schedule.
The City of Elsmere does not maintain street lights. The street lights in the City of Elsmere are either maintained by Duke Energy or Owen Electric. Often times if the street light is in close proximity to your house it is your electric service provider that maintains street light in need of repair. You can contact Duke Energy at 800.544.6900 or Owen Electric at 859.283.5800 to report a street light outage or a light in need of maintenance. Be prepared to have the address that the light is located at and the closest cross street to report a problem with a street light.